Sunday, July 3, 2011

Morning assemblies and The Birds and The Bees

Who says sex education is absent from the Government's mind? I can assure you that the Higher Ups have left no stone un-turned to ensure students are clear on how exactly they enter this world and how they will leave it. Sample this from the daily morning prayer sung by the students of my school:

Ishwar sheesh jukhate hain hum
Haath jod gun gaate hain hum
................
................
Kamdev se aaye hain hum
Namdev ko jayenge hain hum
...............

(God we bow our heads to you
We fold our hands and sing your praises....

From the Lovegod have we come
To the Destroyer shall we go....)

I think that takes care of the Birds and the Bees very well don't you?? :D

On another note, it is heartening to hear that our HMs (that's Head Masters to you civilians!) truly appreciate TFI fellows placed in their schools. One of my flatmates (hereby referred to as SC) is placed in a private school in a charming village of East Delhi, Seelampur. Here is how the first visit by his HM went:

HM: Very good, very good. I really liked your class!
SC: Thank you sir :)
HM: I can see you are a born leader, you will definitely go far!
SC: Thank you very much sir! :) :)
HM: Have I told you about my daughter? She has just finished her engineering and is now working with BHEL.
SC: Err....that's very nice sir.
HM: Very beautiful girl too...why don't you come over sometime?

See, this is called a truly glorious opportunity to eradicate educational inequity in one go!! Go SC!!! :D

High point: Nitin (my co-fellow) and I conducted the whole morning assembly perfectly on Saturday! :)

Low point: Truly understood the meaning of 'abysmal' when sat with two 2nd grade girls for 1hr to teach them how to draw A/B/C/D. It says much for the level of education being proferred in these schools!

Moved: 4th grader who had not listened to a word I said the whole day came to me and said, "Didi, I want to be an engineer. Will you teach me how to speak English like you do?"

Monday morning tom...expecting to get my class finally! Keep you fingers crossed for me!

2 comments: