Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blues

Blues. Ate at Blues Cafe yesterday and cant move from the bed now blues. Have left all my charts for tomorrow's class at the flat and hence will have nothing tomorrow blues. No more its sunday afternoon and have to go to office tomorrow blues. Am completely broke by the 10th of the month blues. Had aloo bhujia+cheese spread+bread+mango gelato for dinner- no more blues! :)

No one need worry about my health and happiness anymore....those kids are ensuring I lose both ASAP! I am walking/talking/jumping non-stop for 6hrs daily!! No voice, no food, no water (my school doesn't have any washrooms!) and 40 jumpy girls who start crying at the drop of a hat. But seriously, I have been having an absolute blast. We have a rather nice HM and all the other teachers have adopted me. Plus the kids really are very adorable- expect for their enthusiasm for singing Sheela ki Jawani at the drop of a hat! (How is it that these kids never learnt their ABCDs properly but can sing "I'm too sexy for u" with gusto???????????)

Nitin and I did a joint class on how to write ABCD properly on Friday. It is somewhat frightening that these kids in 2nd and 3rd grade cannot write their capitals and smalls correctly. The level of teaching in MCD is very low. The concept of accountability of course was given up on a long time back, with anything related to government work. But this! Evidently the style of teaching followed here is sit on a chair, ask one student to open a chapter at random and start reading it aloud. Then 10 minutes later, congregate in the staff room, put on some good music and start having a blast! Not all teachers are like that, we have some good ones also. But the fact is that no one really watches or cares whether they are doing a good job or not. So exactly why would they bother? Oh dear beyond blues now.

We had planned to start teaching entirely in English from tomorrow. But I don't think my kids are ready for it at all. Any suggestions on how to move them to English entirely (remember, this kids don't know anything- not even basic commands such as Sit down) by August end?

No comments:

Post a Comment