Friday, July 1, 2011

First Day of School!

Who says school was not fun?? We certainly had a blast today! :)

So first day of school- catatonia has set in by 0700hrs. Reached school half an hour to find my co-fellow had made cards for each of the kinds- oh shit I am so going to be the loser! Quickly showed off corporate management skills by going for real power- made a card for the HM! :D

0800hrs- 30kids turned up in the entire school today! Morning assembly- ran through Vande Matram, Gayatri Mantra, Jai Jawan slogans, National Anthem as quickly and tunelessly as possible. Realised that no more kids are coming- no studies happening today atleast!

So we just kidnapped all of them into one room and started working on keeping them busy and entertained! :) Out came the Banana song (truly the greatest creation of mankind- read below to find out more!), Beauty and the Beast (the Rekha and Rajkumar version), colouring books, ABCD song and pretty much everything else we could think of, to keep such a diverse class busy. It was tough and maddening- I have never talked so much ever before (even though that maybe difficult to believe!) and I doubt my throat's going to be normal for the next two years. But I had a great time day and am much more relaxed about school now.

Banana Song
figure out the actions yourself :)

Banana grow grow
Banana grow
Banana peel peel
Banana peel
Banana jump jump
Banana jump!
Banana mash mash
Banana mash!

Whoever invented this- I could kiss you right now!! :)

Good things-

1. Our HM was very sweet and helpful- augurs well for the future.
2. The students are interesting and interested and am just waiting to attack them with my TFI-trained self!
3. Nitin was a great help and I'm glad we got a chance to work together.

Things to improve-

1. The level of English is honestly abysmal. Kids in 3rd grade cant spell their names! That's going to take some work.
2. The staff are more inclined to see us somewhat warily still- I felt as if I had horns on my head the whole day!

Cant wait to get my permanent class soon and unleash all the charts am making! Will update!

3 comments: